Call for original research abstracts
The European Academy of Chiropractic (EAC) welcomes the submission of abstracts for original research papers for presentation during the ECU 2020 Convention. Accepted papers are eligible for the following European Centre for Chiropractic Research Excellence (ECCRE) prizes:
- The ECCRE Best Presented Research Award – € 7,500
- The ECCRE Second Best Presented Research Award – € 3,500
- The ECCRE Young Researcher of the Year Award – € 2,000
This will be judged by a convention research committee, appointed by the ECCRE Research Council. Only papers with all results presented in the abstract would be eligible to participate in the research prize competition. Winning one of the research prizes is not automatically linked to publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
Before entering the online abstract submission system, please carefully read the guidelines below.
Abstract submission is now closed
Notifications of acceptance: on or before 20 February 2020
Deadline for early bird registration: 1 March 2020 23:59:50 CET
All accepted abstract presenters must register and pay before 1 March 2020. Acceptance of abstracts into the programme and Abstract Book are subject to registration and full payment of the registration fees by the 1st April 2020.
Authors are invited to submit abstracts describing their original research in the general topic areas:
- Basic Science (e.g., biomechanics, physiology, animal studies)
- Clinical Studies (e.g., clinical trials, experimental clinical research, observational clinical research)
- Educational (e.g., teaching methods, studies of classroom educational methods, knowledge translation research)
- Literature reviews (e.g., narrative, systematic and meta-analysis)
- Cases (e.g., report of single or multiple patient cases)
- Other (e.g., population studies, health services, epidemiology, cost analysis, policy studies, practice analysis, etc.)
The ECCRE makes the final selection of abstracts to be included in the Convention programme. Accepted papers will be divided into two categories:
- Research Presentation – Oral Presentation of 10 minutes including discussion time presented in one of the parallel sessions taking place on Friday 22 May.
- Poster presentation
GUIDELINES FOR THE PREPARATION OF YOUR ABSTRACT
- Abstracts must be written in English.
- The size of the abstract is limited to 650 words.
- The submission programme will automatically calculate the size of your abstract and will not allow submissions that do not fit the size requirements.
- Do NOT mention the authors and affiliations in the abstract. You will be asked to fill in these details separately.
- The title should be start with a capital, followed by lower case. Maximum length 20 words, it should clearly define the topic. Do NOT identify your institution in the title. Do NOT put a full stop after the title.
- Abstract contents: Abstracts submitted for presentation are required to use the following 4 sections:
- Objectives (includes the background and study purpose)
- Methods (includes the study design, setting, methods)
- Results (includes the main findings)
- Conclusion (primary conclusions based upon study findings that relate directly to the study purpose)
- References are allowed but not more than 5 key references. Note that the maximum size of the abstract is 650 words including references.
- Abstracts should not include figures, tables or diagrams, and images
- Use Calibri font .11, do NOT use symbols or alternative fonts.
- Do NOT type your abstract in bold or italic.
- Do NOT type the abstract text in capital letters. Use upper and lower case.
- For a sample and the abstract template click here. Please use this template to prepare your abstract text, then copy and paste the text into the online abstract submission system.
- Authors are responsible for checking for accuracy at the time of submission. Abstracts will be published as submitted by the corresponding author. Any errors in spelling, grammar or scientific fact in the abstract text will be reproduced as typed by the author.
- Authors may submit a maximum of two abstracts as presenting author but can be mentioned as a co-author of other papers.
- Attendance: All accepted abstract presenters must register and pay before the early registration fee deadline of 1 March 2020. Lack of registration will result in removal from the ECU 2020 programme.
- Commitment to register and attend: If an abstract is accepted, it is expected that an author will register and attend the conference. In line with the ECU Convention policy; fee, honorarium or expense payment will not be provided for the presenters.
- Authorship: Only authors who meet ICMJE www.icmorg criteria should be listed as authors.
- Eligibility: An abstract of original research is eligible for acceptance if it has been presented at another meeting, but not if it has been published, or accepted for publication, by the abstract submission deadline (January 12). Submissions must not duplicate work that any of the authors have published elsewhere. Studies involving human subjects (clinical trials, pilot studies, biomechanics studies, retrospective reviews, cohort studies, and surveys) or animals, must have IRB/ethics board approval granted or exemption as determined by the author’s institution.
- Submission Deadline: Only abstracts submitted through the 2020 ECU Congress website by the January 12 deadline will be considered for presentation at the ECU Convention.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The personal information supplied in connection with the abstract submission will be held by the ECU as a record of attendees and parties expressing interest in the ECU 2020 Convention. By submitting an abstract for this Conference the parties concerned are agreeing that the ECU may:
- use that personal information to contact them by email, direct mail or telephone, in order to supply information relevant to this Convention and future ECU Conventions;
- use that personal information to be included in the relevant Convention documentation, such as an abstract book, online and/or printed scientific programme and Book of Proceedings, abstract (oral and poster) overviews and dedicated congress app.
Copyright of the abstract(s) is assigned to the ECU 2020 Convention. Accepted abstracts can be published in one of the following publications:
- Online publication Chiropractic and Manual Therapies (C&MT)
- As a supplement of BACKspace, magazine of the ECU
- ECU Book of Proceedings, available during the Convention
All submitted abstracts will go through a peer-review and will be evaluated for completeness, strength of contribution, and relevance by all members of the Peer Review Committee. Abstract submissions will be selected based upon: practical significance, originality, and quality of the work.
ABSTRACT PEER-REVIEW AND DECISION PROCESS
The Review committee will determine which accepted abstracts will be presented as poster or platform.
Reviewers will give rankings from 1 to 5 points, taking into consideration the following six criteria:
|5||Excellent – research and information is based on an original concept or provide important or new results. You would strongly recommend this for an oral presentation.|
|4||Good – research and information is strong and relevant to the conference. This could be an oral presentation.|
|3||Average – the abstract contains information from which colleagues with the same interest field can learn. This should be a poster.|
|2||Lower than average – redundant research/information, no substantial improvement of knowledge, poor information quality. This should probably be rejected.|
|1||Poor or incomplete – insufficient information quality, the abstract is formally incorrect, prescribed sections are missing. This should absolutely be rejected.|
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE OR REJECTION TO CORRESPONDING AUTHOR
Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent to the submitting (corresponding) author on or before 20 February 2020. Please note that only the corresponding author will receive mail concerning the abstract and is responsible for informing all co-authors of the status of the abstract. Authors whose abstracts have been accepted will receive instructions for the presentation of their abstract.
The Convention Organiser, Your Conference Support, has assigned Parthen to process the abstracts and registrations for this conference. Please contact them directly if you need assistance with the abstract submission process:
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
phone: +31 20 572 73 04
If you have any questions about the review process, please email Claire Wilmot email@example.com